Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tomato Bisque


Fortunately for me I made this soup over the weekend.  It came in handy since I was attacked by pollen on Monday, and had my first true allergy attack.  I felt awful, and this soup with some grilled cheese did help me feel better.  It was an easy soup to prepare and I can freeze the left overs for my next allergy attack. Who knew those could be so nasty.  I also made some cheese crisps to go on top.  It's also vegetarian friendly!!

Ingredients
1 tablespoon of butter
1 celery stock chopped
1 onion chopped
2 garlic gloves minced
1/2 teaspoon of thyme
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoon sour cream

Directions
Melt butter in a large sauce pan or dutch oven over medium heat. 
Add celery and onion, cook until onions are soft and translucent. 
Add garlic and cook for just a minute. 
Then add the thyme, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste.  Let simmer for 5 minutes. 
Finally add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. 
Turn the heat down and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Turn the heat off. Using a blender or immersion blender blend the soup until smooth.
 Stir in the sour cream slowly so not to curdle the sour cream.


Now to make the crisps. While the soup is simmering. Using grated cheese, any kind will do, place them on a well oiled baking sheet or a slip mat like the one pictured below. Bake them in the oven at 350' for about 8 minutes or until golden brown. Serve on top, or as a side treat.



No comments :

Post a Comment