Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Hummus




Hummus has to be one of my favorite snacks and I eat it all the time. I have found that it taste good with just about anything.  In fact, I have been known to eat a whole container in one setting. My favorite has to be the roasted red pepper made by Sabre. I have spent a lot of money on this one food. 
 
I have always been a little nervous about making my own hummus. Actually, a lot nervous. I have had friends make it and I always liked it but I always thought it would be a difficult recipe. Then I started looking and found that, aside from the tahini that can be difficult to find, it was a relatively easy recipe. Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Then I started trying other flavors and fell in love with making my own. It is cheaper than running to the store weekly and it's always a party favorite. This is the basic recipe and you can just add the flavors like--roasted red pepper, garlic, jalapeno, or sun dried tomato when you add your other ingredients to the blender. I will say that putting raw garlic in the blender will really make it strong. I would on use one clove or roast some garlic in the oven to tone down the taste.  Also tahini is usually found in the international aisle.

Ingredients
19 oz garbanzo beans drained, reserve liquid
2 tablespoons tahini
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons of reserved bean juice
salt and pepper to taste


Blend all the ingredients, including any flavors you would like to add, together in a blender until smooth.  I like to drizzle olive oil over the hummus when plated and garnish with beans. 

No comments :

Post a Comment