Monday, March 11, 2013

Baked Spaghetti

Baked Spaghetti
Typically I try to do a meatless Monday but during the Lenten season I trade my Mondays for my Fridays.  I was thinking that since I had some left over Italian chicken sausage I would make baked spaghetti.  This is a easy, easy recipe and can be done ahead of time. This is also a great idea for left over spaghetti.


What you need:
1 package spaghetti
1 pound Italian Chicken Sausage (I found this at my local grocery store)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jar meatless spaghetti sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups of ricotta cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1 tsp of parsley



Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile brown the sausage in a frying pan until cooked through and no longer pink.  Drain meat.  You can cook the onions with the sausage if you like to save some time.  Pour sauce over meat and onions and let simmer for 5 minures on low.  Then pour meat mixture over spaghetti.


Mix egg, Parmesan cheese, ricotta and parsley in a separate bowl.

Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish. Layer half of the spaghetti onto the bottom of the dish, then layer all the cheese mixture onto the bottom spaghetti layer. Finish the dish with the rest of the spaghetti and top with the mozzarella cheese.

At this point you can cover with foil and put in your fridge/freezer to bake later, or cook now.  Bake the dish covered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20-25 more minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. If you freeze this dish, you can go directly from the freezer to the oven and adjust the covered cooking time to 1 hour and use the same uncovered time. 

Happy Eating
~Kelli

No comments :

Post a Comment