Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Breakfast On The Go!



My husband has always gotten up before the crack of dawn and left for work.  He has in the past made himself a either a peanut butter and banana sandwich or a bagel with cream cheese.  He may have done this every morning while stationed in San Diego.  When we moved back to the east coast I started thinking there has to be a better way to feed the man, especially now that he walks a mile to mass transit everyday.  After doing some internet searching I came across BREAKFAST BURRITOS, these were perfect.   I could make them ahead, individually wrap each burrito and freeze. He can grab one in the morning, wrap in a paper towel, and heat in the microwave.  This is also great for the kids, especially the ones who can heat up their own breakfast.

Here is what you need:
6 eggs
1lb sausage
1/2 onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
3 cups grated cheese
10 burrito shells


First I start by scrambling 6 eggs, while the eggs are cooking I throw in some chopped peppers and onions.  

Then I cook the meat.  Today I used 1 lb of breakfast sausage.  I try to buy organic or grass fed.  I also usually use turkey bacon or turkey sausage.  Though when my husband does the shopping he buys what he calls the real stuff. You can use any meat you want, sausage, bacon, chorizo, etc..... Just make sure to cook it separately to render off the the grease and fat. Once the meat has been rendered and the eggs are done, mix everything together.  Grate your cheese and you are ready to assemble.


Assembling Your Burrito:  You can do this like an assembly line.  Warm your burrito shells in the microwave for about 15 seconds--this way they are easier to roll.  Put you plastic wrap down first, lay out your burrito shell, and begin to fill.  I put in about 2 spoonfuls of the meat and egg mixture and then sprinkle with cheese.  Here is where it gets tricky, roll one end of the burrito up, then fold in sides of burrito while still holding the rolled up end.  Then continue to roll.  Once you have rolled the burrito up wrap the plastic wrap around it tightly.

There is no way to make this picture pretty, but this is the final outcome.  I place them in a plastic freezer bag and label.

Heating Instructions:
Remove plastic wrap, roll in a paper towel and heat in your microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.  We usually do 30 seconds and then turn it over for another 30 but depending on the size you may need a little longer.






Now you have a healthy, quick and easy breakfast to start your day.





2 comments :

  1. Love this!! What a great idea:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good. Can't wait to try. I bet I could even try it with egg whites.

    ReplyDelete