Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Lighter Fish Taco




San Diego has been by far my favorite place we have been stationed.  I love everything about San Diego.  The weather, the people, and the food.  I am a big fan of Mexican food and, let us not forget margaritas.  Really, who doesn't love a margarita.  I was introduced to the fish taco while in San Diego, and instantly fell in love.  There is nothing like it.  I have made both the fried and the grilled and both are wonderful.  It's actually quite easy and a great way to get the kids to eat fish.  I made these last night for Taco Tuesday.  I won't lie, my picky eater had a cheese quesadilla but the other two devoured two fish tacos.  I used an avocado sauce for the tacos last night, but I will share the more common baja sauce later, when I do my fried fish tacos. This is the lighter version.


Fish
1 fillet of white fish per person
Season the fish with
salt and pepper
pinch of cayenne
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander

Heat a non stick pan over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook Fish on both sides for 4-5 minutes until fish is flaky.


Sauce
2 ripe avocados
1 cup salsa verde
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon jalapeno, seeded and cored
1 lime juiced
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.


Tacos
corn or flour taco shells
frozen corn
black beans
chopped tomato
cabbage

If you have a gas stove, turn a burner on, using tongs, toast both sides of the shell. If you do not have gas stove you can warm your shells up in the microwave under a moist paper towel for 30 seconds.
Assemble your tacos with your favorite toppings.

No comments :

Post a Comment